Senior Evidence, Learning and Accountability (ELA) Coordinator
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Senior Evidence, Learning and Accountability (ELA) Coordinator is responsible to manage a functional Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) system and structure for the priority sectors in World Vision Lebanon, while providing technical guidance to the ELA coordinators supporting these sectors. The role is expected as well to build the capacity on MEAL-related requirements, principles and standards and to provide guidance to the relevant sectoral programmes and operations teams in designing, monitoring, accountability and learning, as well as supports World Vision Lebanon’s strategies and the One Syria Response strategy. The ELA coordinator also works with the ELA Manager in providing support to the roll-out of LEAP 3, Technical Programmes, Strategy Process, national baselines, evaluations, and evidence building agenda, in addition to standardizing ELA processes and tools for all sectors.
Provide support in the following processes (Evidence building agenda, One Syria Response, WVL’s strategy, project cycle management according to LEAP 3 standrads, overall MEAL system set-up, ad-hoc requests…)-->ELA team is supported, ensuring learning throughout the process.
Lead baseline and evaluations tasks for Technical Programmes at field level (contribution to baseline/evaluation TOR & design, coordination, tools' revision, report review, workshop…)-->Baselines and Evaluations for TP are well led and completed on time, abiding by MEAL guidelines and sector standards.
Oversee project specific evaluations and baselines at field level (revision of ToR, sign off on methodology and tools, sign off on final report…)-->Project specific evaluations and baselines are well led and completed on time, abiding by MEAL guidelines and donor standards.
Provide technical input to Technical Programmes, Area Programmes and CESP development (logframes and MEAL narrative)/re-designs-->TPs, APs, and CESP redesigns are completed with quality logframes abiding by MEAL guidelines and sector standards.
Contribute in the consolidation of the broader MEAL system in terms of SOPs, guidelines and tools development.-->SOPs, guidelines and tools for WVL’s M&E system are set.
Ensure standardization and roll out of MEAL processes and tools for all sectors at field level-->Standard MEAL processes and tools for all sectors are implemented in the South, Beirut and North areas.
Lead the proposal development process in terms of MEAL input (logframe, budgeting for MEAL activities and staffing, MEAL narrative plan, etc.) and use of lessons learned-->Proposals are submitted with good quality and measurable indicators.
Synthesize data from outcome monitoring studies (including PIMs, FSOMs, pre-post tests,…) to generate a report-->Outcome Monitoring report is generated with good quality and synthesis of data.
Lead the planning of the Syria Strategy Impact Assessment at field level, as per the requirements of the One Syria response-->Impact assessment is well led and completed on time, abiding by One Syria response guidelines.
Contribute to the MEAL related component of the Child Well-Being Report, as well as to the MEAL related component of Syria Crisis External Impact Report-->CWBR and Syria Crisis External report are submitted with good quality including all relevant sector specific information from field level.
Plan for the roll-out of output-level monitoring at field level (conduct training and capacity building for field Operations staff)-->Operations staff capacities in output level monitoring are improved.
Oversee the lessons learned events process for projects (provide guidance to ELA Coordinators)-->Lessons learned events are supported with MEAL evidence and are well documented.
Attend relevant internal and external meetings-->Information and updates specific to the MEAL unit and/or sector of interest is shared with relevant staff.
Attend internal and external trainings, workshops, events, etc.-->MEAL capacities and competencies are strengthened.
Conduct project site visits occasionally-->Monitoring field work and identifying challenges is done regularly.
Team Management of ELA (coaching and providing technical guidance, meetings, follow-up, support, troubleshooting, review and feedback provision for plans and deliverables)
Manage performance agreement and reviews for the direct reports as well as own.-->Team is working within supportive environment and coached for better performance; Performance Agreements and Reviews are finalized on time, and discussed with relevant managers/supervisors and staff members.
Ensure proper records and filing of accountability data.
Work closely with Accountability officer and sector stakeholders to define and organize information per project
Compile and submit timely Accountability reports to relevant sector leads
Accountability framework (included in the MEAL framework is operationalized)- Implementation of Accountability mechanism across all project in compliance to WVI standards and donor’s requirements
Manage relevant Human Resources, finance and procurement related matters (recruitment discussions, Payment orders, recruitment of casual workers, …)-->HR, finance and procurement guidelines are implemented and abided by.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, International Development Studies, Public Health, Community Development or any relevant professional qualification. Masters degree is a plus
- Experience in managing and implementing MEAL systems in development and humanitarian contexts, including qualitative and quantitative approaches to baselines, monitoring and evaluations.
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results, with strong people leadership/management abilities and skills for managing and working in teams
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills for planning, monitoring, evaluation, learning, and accountability
- Good knowledge about research philosophies, principles, statistical definitions, scientific tools and techniques
- Proven networking and representation skills at a senior level
- Excellent report writing and information dissemination skills
- Excellent written English, with good command of spoken Arabic and English
- Excellent knowledge of information presentation techniques (graphing, charting, tabling etc.), data processing and analysis, and interpretation skills
- Experience in training and facilitation
- Good knowledge of and experience with humanitarian guidelines and principles.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Organization, planning, and time management skills
- Detailed oriented and able to verify data quality
- Very good knowledge of statistical packages (SPSS, Excel, etc.)
- Ability to synthesize data for use for organizational learning
- Overall at least 4 years of experience in a similar role working in MEAL processes, with a focus on both response and development settings.
- Valid driving license (in Lebanon) for more than 2 years is required.
- Minimum two years of supervisory experience in MEAL processes
- Knowledge of ODK database/SMAP server
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of gender and diversity issues
- Demonstrated good skills in team management
- Good contextual knowledge of local community and social/cultural constraints, realities and organizational relationships for effective project design and implementation
- Understands fundraising, relief, development and advocacy issues, including operational consequences
- Understands international standards in humanitarian protection and accountability (e.g. HAP, SPHERE, Red Cross, Code of Conduct, etc)
- The position requires 70% of the time to be office based.
- The position requires willingness to travel to field (at least 30% of the time field based).
- The position requires willingness and ability to continue to function during a crisis, including during a World Vision response to a manmade or natural disaster.
- The position requires availability and willingness to work outside regular office hours occasionally.
- The position requires ability to attend and participate in capacity building opportunities, trainings and meetings locally and internationally as required by the organization.