Policy and Advocacy Coordinator
Interested candidates to apply through:
PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position will contribute to implementation of the external engagement strategy and advocacy plan of World Vision Lebanon. It will re-enforce WVL’s ability to credibly engage with national and local stakeholders (governmental entities, coalitions, civil society organizations, etc) helping WV leverage its presence, results and brand to ensure the following:
- Influence policies on child-wellbeing issues prioritized in WVL National Strategy (through policy briefs, research, campaigns, etc)
- Linking local level issues to national level policy change through coordination of advocacy initiatives and evidence gathering on common issues and needs,
- Support in the Planning of the It takes a World Campaign and provide technical support on local level advocacy and ensure children and community participation
- Support the External engagement Director in External engagement and national level policy and advocacy efforts.
- Support the National Director in the governance of the WVL board
National Advocacy and Policy Influence
- Engage with national and local stakeholders and represent WVL at relevant national committees and advocacy working groups
- Interacts and networks with other human rights-based NGOs and community organizations and national coalition groups as requested.
- Provide ongoing, quarterly context analysis on national ministerial changes/humanitarian context and/or opportunities for policy influence in coordination with technical coordinators
- Develop policy briefs /statements and reports for national level advocacy and humanitarian advocacy for Syria Crisis response.
- Plan and implement relevant advocacy initiatives at national level with support from external engagement director
- Support in Development of MoUs and agreements with relevant CSOs and other stakeholders
World Vision well represented in national platforms and civil society organizations mobilized for action
Maintain good relationships with relevant NGOs and external engagements reported and documented
WV well informed for ministerial engagements and developing national collaborations
WV actively engaging in humanitarian advocacy efforts with SOs and LHIF
Policy brief/statements developed and used of lobbying purposes.
PSM reporting of advocacy initiatives
MoU developed as per minimum quality standards
Technical support for implementation of It takes a World Campaign and local level advocacy initiatives
- Understand the social, political and economic context of Lebanon and analyze the different arenas in which World Vision can conduct local level advocacy and how this methodology can be linked to national level systems reform.
- Advise on the implementation of local level advocacy plans within various sectors in the area programmes
- Provide training for staff members and communities to equip them with tools, knowledge and skills on local level advocacy methodologies and child participation among other relevant topics.
- Assist ADP staff and children to implement their own child-led initiatives and to become agents of positive change locally, nationally and globally
- Engage in regional platforms around the It takes a World Campaign
- Support the implementation, documentation and reporting of initiatives relating to the takes a World Campaign with Regional office engagement
Advise on incorporation of local level advocacy approaches in new projects
Local level advocacy initiatives supported to ensure quality implementation. Evaluations of projects including LLA models highlight effective implementation and positive impact on children’s wellbeing depending on objectives
Staff trained on local level advocacy and are able to identify and respond to opportunities and best approaches for advocacy and participation of children for advocacy.
WV Lebanon engaged in regional calls and webexes and updates about progress of WVL shared
ITAW Campaign actions are implemented and visible to donors and partners
Support WVL Governance structures
- Liaise with Advisory Council Development & Regional Governance Advisor (RGA).
- Ensure legal documents are signed and up-to-date.
- Facilitate the internal communication between AC, SLT and staff, where appropriate.
- Provide coordination for the AC when organizing major events (e.g. Annual Retreat, Annual Day of Prayer, Christmas Celebration).
- Facilitate AC Self Review process. Liaise with the Self Review Committee during period of Peer Review (once every 3 years).
- Coordinate Transition process (as needed).
Works with Advisory Council Chair on AC development calendar and with RGA responsible for the AC’s development.
Ensures annual evaluation of AC effectiveness is conducted.
Ensures necessary legal AC and organization documents are signed, copied, filed and up-to-date.
Makes necessary appointments for legal aspects (lawyers...) and Interfaces between AC and staff
Works with AC Chair and ND in preparing what is needed for the process.
Works with AC Chair and ND to ensure steps are taken to meet criteria of Transition process. And prepares all necessary documents for the Transition Dossier.
Perform other duties as required
Safety and Security responsibilities:
- Responsible of own security and actively contribute to a positive security culture
- Abide by the security policies and procedures and report any incidents or breaches to line manager and / or security manager
- Attend and participate in local and international capacity building events as needed
- Attend and participate in spiritual nurture events and other organizational events
- Perform other related tasks as required by the External engagement team
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree in international affairs, public health
- Very strong Facilitation and communication skills
- Very strong ability to write, edit, and speak English (Previous experience writing, editing and/or publishing articles and taking photos)
- A full commitment to World Vision’s core values and humanitarian mandate.
- Full adherence to World Vision Lebanon Child Protection, Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policies.
- Must be able to represent World Vision to major program stakeholders and donors in a highly professional manner, in person and in writing.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in international affairs, advocacy with Lebanese civil society
- Ability to work with minimal direction, with team members as well as alone.
- Experience of coordinating work between different stakeholders
- Ability to cope with working in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Ability to exhibit exemplary lifestyle as interpreted in specific local cultural context
- A full commitment to World Vision’s core values and mission statement.
- Experience in planning and implementing advocacy campaigns and engaging with various audiences and coordinating project with other local NGOs is preferred.
- Experience in organizing events with Civil society and engaging in public campaigns
- Good knowledge of human rights/child rights particularly in the Lebanese context
- Good knowledge of child rights and development discourse
- Can identify major stakeholders involved in child wellbeing matters in the country
- Position requires in-country travel for up to 30 per cent of working hours.
- Position requires availability and willingness to work outside regular office hours occasionally.
- Position requires willingness and ability to continue to function during a crisis situation, including during a World Vision response to a manmade or natural disaster. Also requires willingness to undergo World Vision and external training on how to respond to such emergencies, including first aid training.
- Willingness to develop survival and security skills for various risks and challenges encountered in emergency situations.
- Willingness to undergo first aid and security training.