PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position is part of the External engagement function. The strategic priorities of Communication coordinator role are are: reputation & influence, public/community connections and team engagement and management.
The primary purpose of this role is to support the External engagement department to achieve objectives set out in the office’s strategy through developing, disseminating and managing information and resources for effective donor and public engagement; networking with key internal and external groups; strategically working with national and international media; contributing to internal communications; and launching and carrying out timely and effective communications responses to humanitarian emergencies.
The communications coordinator will also lead external communications on a range of humanitarian, development and advocacy issues and will direct, facilitate and deliver content, using platforms and channels to reach diverse audiences.
Public - Community Connections:
- Engage In the development of WVL external engagement strategy and in developing a yearly action plan that includes communication components of positioning and advocacy purposed.
- Engage with the grants team in the development of proposals and communications plans as needed
- Manage the planning and production of compelling evidence-based and issues-oriented fundraising, advocacy and publicity materials (web-based, digital, print and video) for effective donor (including grant acquisition) and public engagement – both in-country and internationally, and in collaboration with other World Vision Offices if/as appropriate.
- Ensure outcome-focused quality production of visual and written content for defined donor segments and audiences reflecting programme objectives and evidence of impact.
- Ensure that stories, photos and other materials are produced to standards of quality required for informing, educating and engaging donors and publics via Partnership websites, magazines, adverts, donor appeals, media releases and other communications channels and outlets.
- Oversee the consistent and timely offering, development and reporting on the resources developed.
- Host/support the Partnership resource gathering visits/ Media
- Be actively involved in the development of external engagement strategy insuring WVI brand guidelines, Visibility standards, and relevant Comms policies and guides are incorporated.
- Ongoing completion of communication plans per sector/project and Share assignments, including news, eye-witness reports, story lines, feature stories, video & photo stories etc. Proactively create ideas via Share that match strategic and Ministry objectives;
- Excellent stories and visual material produced for the Partnership and other stakeholders
- High quality photos provided to the Digital Media Centre in the Partnership
- Creative videos produced for SOs and other stakeholders
- Satisfying field visits for marketing and content gathering for SOs and Media
- Content that capture the WVL work in the field and impact created
- Satisfied SOs, RO and Global Office on content provided through content flow.
- Effectively hosted support office resource gathering, media, donor, and VIP visits with evidence of resource sharing and proper documentation
Organisational positioning in mainstream and social media to mobilise publics for social and policy change
- Increase WV visibility locally and internationally (upon specific need) Contribute to media outreach plan results in increased positive coverage of WV’s work in local and national media outlets.
- Develop and maintain professional contacts and relationships with key print, radio and TV media, and liaise upon necessity
- Ensure that comms staff and other selected staff are trained and refreshed annually as spokesperson for WVL
- Archive and digitize media interactions from WV spokespersons.
- Ensure WV staff are oriented on media relations policy and protocol.
- Ensure social media content and engagement plan results in increased outreach of WV’s programs and material
- Ensure the external communication resources use correct WV identity.
- Support grants acquisition and management with compelling visibility plans.
- Collaborate with advocacy colleagues to define key issues, messaging, and communications channels for public advocacy initiatives.
- maintaining media relations, including local and international media through development and maintenance of professional contacts and relationships with print, radio and TV media. Offer story opportunities, arrange project visit and interviews.
- Media contact list updated and reports about media hits and coverage are developed on monthly basis
- Spokespersons identifies and trained and supported for proactive and reactive media engagement in local and international markets – especially in times of emergency.
- World Vision staffs are aware of and adhere to media relations protocols (inc. local/ADP-level media engagement guidance).
- Demonstrated correct use of WV identity in external communication resources. Support staff to have access to and is aware of local and international branding guidelines.
- Visibility plans for grants are development and their implementation supported
- Joint plans developed for advocacy campaigns to support outreach to various stakeholders and develop appropriate communications resoures.
- Oversee the work of subordinates (and ensure that their tasks are delivered based on the integrated business plan.
- Ensure optimization of subordinates’ potentials through coaching, on-the-job training, and capacity building
- Effectively manage the performance of direct reports ensuring performance agreements, regular performance discussions, and annual appraisal are done.
- Create a network of freelancers to assure some resource generation is outsourced.
- The communications team understands NO strategy and global trends and develop all resources in line with them.
- Act as a mentor for the team, spend time on identifying the skills of each staff, make sure the tasks assigned are clear and doable. Provide advice when needed.
- Make sure that the identified freelancers understand WV’s core values, mission and vision, CP policy and relevant standards.
Safety and Security responsibilities:
- Responsible of own security and actively contribute to a positive security culture
- Abide by the security policies and procedures and report any incidents or breaches to line manager and / or security manager
- Attend and participate in local and international capacity building events as needed
- Attend and participate in spiritual nurture events and other organizational events
- Perform other related tasks as required by the Comms / Project managers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications. Audiovisual studies and any other relevant field
- Videography and Photography skills
- Strong Public speaking and communication skills
- Strong media engagement experience and contacts with local media
- Very strong ability to write, edit, and speak English and Arabic (Previous experience writing, editing and/or publishing articles in both languages
- Strong computer literacy, including ability to work with Microsoft Office and web-based software
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and understanding of social and political environment.
- Minimum of Three years experience working in communications or journalism
- Ability to work with minimal direction, with team members as well as alone.
- Experience of coordinating work between different stakeholders
- Ability to cope with working in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Ability to exhibit exemplary lifestyle as interpreted in specific local cultural context
- Full adherence to World Vision Lebanon Child Protection, Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policies.
- Full adherence to security protocols
- A full commitment to World Vision’s core values and mission statement.
- Experience in coordinating project with other local NGOs is preferred.
- Familiarity with web-based portals and content-management systems
- Position requires in-country travel for up to 50 per cent of working hours.
- Position requires availability and willingness to work outside regular office hours occasionally.
- Position requires willingness and ability to continue to function during a crisis situation, including during a World Vision response to a manmade or natural disaster. Also requires willingness to undergo World Vision and external training on how to respond to such emergencies, including first aid training.
- Willingness to develop survival and security skills for various risks and challenges encountered in emergency situations.
- Willingness to undergo first aid and security training.