Waste Management Expert
Interested applicants are requested to their CV to the following email address [email protected]
Marine litter is a complex and multi-dimensional problem challenging the marine and coastal environment of the Mediterranean since the 1970s. The sources of marine litter can be categorized as either land-based or sea-based, depending on how litter reaches the water.
Lebanon generates around 365,003 kg of plastic wastes per day in year 2010, 123,700 kg of which are inadequately managed and 7,300 kg are littered in the sea on daily basis (UNEP/MAP, 2015).
Lebanon Eco Movement (LEM) in coordination with the Lebanese Environment Forum (LEF) are currently implementing a project entitled “Lebanese civil society combating for a plastic free Mediterranean Sea” funded by the EU commission.
This project aims to reduce discharges of waste thrown in the sea, prevent additional harming to the environment and mitigate the economic damage to activities such as tourism and fisheries and that by providing financial and technical support to projects that contribute in preserving the biodiversity of Lebanese coastal zones, while tackling marine litter in Lebanon with a special focus on single-use plastic products and micro plastics, potential threat to both the environment and human health.
In addition to other work packages, the project aims at launching an advocacy campaign to update the Waste Management Strategy by including and mentioning plastic and micro-plastics pollution in the Mediterranean Sea. For this job, Lebanon Eco Movement is seeking contract a Waste Management Expert to review the National Waste Management Strategy and submit a report combining all the gaps and needs on plastic and micro-plastics pollution and proposing improvements to the strategy. Also prepare simplified content for a brochure and a PowerPoint presentation.
Scope of Work
1. The consultant should review the current state of the National Waste Management Strategy in Lebanon and prepare a report combining all the gaps and needs concerning plastic and micro-plastics pollution in the Mediterranean Sea and proposing improvements to the strategy.
2. Provide simplified information for the content of a brochure and prepare the content of a PowerPoint presentation.
Deliverables (Work duration is 1 month)
A report combining all the gaps and needs and proposing improvements to the strategy
Simplified information for the content of a brochure
Content of a Power point presentation
Education Degree Details:
- PhD degree in Sciences related to Environmental Management, Waste management..or any other related field
- Expertise in environmental waste management policies is a must
- International experience is a plus
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic
- Minimum 10 years of environnent experience
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing environmental strategies
- Demonstrated experience related to previous assignment(s) relevant to this one
The consultancy is only open to individuals.