Programme Manager Gender & Social Justice
The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation committed to the values of social democracy. It is the oldest of Germany’s political foundations. FES works in more than 100 countries worldwide and has a network of more than 10 country offices in the Middle East and North Africa, which implement projects in a total of 14 countries in the region.
In Lebanon, FES has opened its office in the 1960s. The aims of FES are to promote democracy and political participation, to support progress towards social justice and gender equality as well as to contribute to peaceful conflict transformation in the region. FES supports the building and strengthening of civil society and public institutions. FES cooperates with a wide range of partner institutions from civil society and the political sphere to establish platforms for democratic dialogue, organises conferences, holds workshops and trainings, and publishes books and policy papers on current economic, social and political questions.
FES is looking for a full-time Programme Manager for a new regional project on gender and social justice. The project aims at forming a regional network of progressive feminists. It focusses on enabling alliances between progressive actors to shape regional debates and agendas, to introduce feminist perspectives on economic equality and the division of labour and to challenge capitalism and neoliberalism. Women’s concerns and feminist critique shall be integrated into the MENA region’s debate on social justice.
Job Purpose and Responsibilities
The Programme Manager will be based with FES in Beirut. She/he will be directly managing budgets and programmes on topics surrounding gender equality and feminist issues, with a focus on feminist perspectives on economy, care work and social justice.
The Programme Manager will be expected to lead programme planning and implementation and will contribute to implementation of national and regional activities, as well as identifying new partners and building and promoting strong national and regional networks with partner organisations.
She/he will be overseeing programmes financially, including financial reporting. She/he will also be expected to monitor and evaluate implemented programmes
She/he will review and support the generation of publications, articles, web stories etc. for a wider audience and for the office (internal and external communication and reporting) related to her/his programmes.
The Programme Manager will represent the organisation at events, meetings and conferences to key stakeholders and partners in Lebanon and in the region. She/he will work under the direct supervision and in close consultation with the Project Director. She/he will analyse and monitor current affairs related to her/his programmes, and provide advice to the Project Director.
Essential qualifications are:
- Master Degree in Social Sciences, Political Science, International Relations, Development Studies, Gender Studies, or related subjects, preferably with a focus on gender equality and women rights.
- Three years of project management experience in nonprofit advocacy work in the Middle East/North Africa, on gender equality, women rights and feminist issues.
- Experience in strategically and effectively managing partneroriented programmes and budgets.
- Strong analytical, criticalthinking and problem-solving skills as well as good team-player qualifications.
- Strong communication skills; ability and experience in building and maintaining strong networks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Arabic and English.
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally.
- Commitment to the values of social democracy.
- A basic understanding of economic issues.
- Good French language skills. German language skills would be an asset.
- Strong networks within the region related to gender equality and feminism.
- Experience in capacity building and training of partners.
- A background in innovative learning methodologies and practical experiences in usage of multimedia tools, IT affinity.
Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung in Lebanon offers a full-time contract. We are a young and dedicated international team working together with our network of partners and affiliated offices in the region and globally.
If you are interested in applying for our job vacancy, please email us your cover letter and your CV until 6 January 2019. After reviewing your entry, we will contact you and direct you individually to submit further references.