Participation & Peaceful Change in Communities- Dec. 3-5, Beirut
Through this experimental exchange we want to bring those together who drive or support participatory change processes, conflict transformation, empowerment and inclusion in communities. We want to explore the issues, strengths and challenges that unite all of us who work on participatory community empowerment.
Potential topics to explore together could be: How to organise groups with a limited budget? How to collaborate effectively? Which tools or methods are most useful? How do we measure our impact? How to develop ownership? Yet, we will not know those topics in advance: The agenda will be set by all participants together on the first day of the event and there will be smaller working groups throughout the two days to work on the respective interest of participants.
In line with our values, this exchange will be in the spirit of self-responsibility, ownership, participation, inclusion and free choice. The participants will be responsible to bring in their topics, set the agenda together and decide which issues to explore more in depth. There will be space for creativity, interaction, networking, learning and sharing.
This event could be for you if you...
- actively drive or support participatory change processes in communities
- organise or mobilise communities to solve common challenges together
- work towards positive peace (which goes beyond the absence of physical violence and includes social, economic, environmental, structural, political participation and -justice)
- are committed to constructive bottom-up approaches to change
- are interested in conflict transformation, conflict sensitivity and community work
- are motivated to share your experiences, to introduce your work and learn with others
- are aware that all participants are responsible for the outcome and success of this event
- are open for new perspectives and interested in further learning and collaboration
- like to experiment, think out of the box and to develop ideas and solutions with others
- And...if you commit to joining at least from 9 AM until 7 PM on 3rd & 4th December (5th December is optional)
Times & Activities:
Mon.,3rd Dec: 9.00 AM - 9.30 PM: Introductions // Sharing of Experiences // Joint Agenda Setting // Exploration of Interests // Joint Dinner // Networking
Tue., 4th Dec: 9.00 AM - 9.30 PM: Input from participants in parallel sessions // Going deeper on chosen topics // World Cafe // Pro Action Cafe // Conclusions // Dinner// Playback Theatre Performance // Networking
Wed., 5th Dec: 9.00 AM - 5.00 PM: Your choice: Peer Visits // Community Tour // Self-organised workshops
If you want to join, please send us a short ‘expression of interest’ (a note or a video, or a drawing with some explanations) latest by the 20th of November 2018 to tell us
- what motivates you to take part in this exchange
- some questions and issues you would be interested in discussing there
- and some experiences or knowledge you would be willing to share with others
The spaces are limited. We hope to be able to accommodate everyone but this will depend on the number of people expressing their interest. Once we have an overview of who wants to join we will get back to you.
The event will be in English and Arabic but please be aware that translation in the break-out groups will need to be self-organised
What is covered: There will be free coffee, tea, lunch and dinner for all participants. And for sure a safe and creative space to exchange and have fun.
We look forward to hearing from you, and please feel free to call us if you have questions. You can reach Julia here: Email: email@example.com, Phone: 00961 1 422 351