Applications are to be sent to the following email address: email@example.com under the title: Programme manager Shabaqa - Lebanon
The deadline for application is: January 2nd, 2019
Applications are to be made in French or English.
Send a detailed resume (2 pages max) without cover letter and a brief dissertation (1 page max) on the following topic: “The challenges of Lebanon civil society for the coming years”. Applicants will be evaluated on their aptitude to analyse and understand the context.
Expertise France (EF) is a public agency created on 1st January 2015 and merging 6 French public agencies under the supervision of the French Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Economy and Finance with a strong inter-ministerial vocation. EF offers programme engineering and technical assistance by developing and implementing international cooperation actions worldwide. EF operates in various fields of development and institutional cooperation including safety and security reform, post-crisis/ stability, public health, human rights, strengthening of institutions and NGOs and governance. Carrying out large-scale, multi-stakeholder programmes, EF can ensure the cooperation between individuals, teams and institutions with very different statuses, cultures and specialties. Besides, EF has acquired a sound experience in administrative and financial management of large-scale international programmes.
Since 2014, Agence Française de Développement (AFD) has been helping the countries neighboring Syria and Iraq address the repercussions of the wars and the arrival of refugee populations. In 2017, the Sawa (“Together” in Arabic) Initiative mobilized EUR 86m of grants.
In the context of the commitments of the London and Brussels conferences, the Sawa Initiative for the Middle East supports refugee populations from Syria and Iraq, but also the most vulnerable women and men in the host countries in Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq and Turkey. Sawa supports national and local institutions, which are the first concerned by the management of the crisis.
In line with the commitments made by France at the World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul in 2016, Sawa supports projects that are coordinated with the humanitarian diplomatic and defence actions, to support France’s political vision for the crisis recovery. It promotes projects inspired by the research community, which can be adjusted during implementation and have strong monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
Lebanon is home to one of the most vibrant and dynamic civil society in the Middle East. Its organisations work on a wide range of social and technical challenges, from social cohesion to reforestation, with programmatic activities spanning from long term development to humanitarian action. The dynamism of the Lebanese civil society is its ability to regularly create new ambitious organisations or switch from long term thinking to a quick reaction to one of the many periodical crisis that have affected the country. But it must not conceal the fact that most local CSOs are financially dependent of international donors and consequently often structurally weak. This frailty certainly hinders the growth of individual organisations, and when put together it eventually slows down the development at country level of a more robust local civil society.
The present Shabaqa programme seeks to work on both the need for CSOs structural strengthening in Lebanon and in the meantime have these very CSOs implementing improved programmes aimed at reducing vulnerabilities to crisis. The programme is funded by Agence Française de Développement (AFD) and implemented by Expertise France (EF)
Objectives of the programme
The global objective of Shabaqa programme is to: Strengthen the capacities of Lebanese CSOs to access and implement international grants planned for crisis prevention and management.
The specific objectives of programme are:
SO1: Strengthen capacities of local CSOs: In this objective an external company will support partners in a long-term process of auto evaluation of their weaknesses and structural needs. EF will then supervise the acquisition by all partners of the knowledge or techniques they need through a capacity building phase or procurement or transfer or expertise.
SO2: Ensure CSOs prove their capacities to implement a project related to reduction of vulnerabilities to crisis: In this objective all partners will directly implement a project related to reduction of vulnerabilities to crisis under the supervision of EF.
SO3: Strengthen CSOs integration into the aid environment. In this objective EF will coordinate various activities at donors & partners level to improve the later capacity to grasp the full potential of what the aid environment has to offer.
Description of the mission
The programme manager will be based in Beirut and responsible for the good implementation of the programme and coordination with EF HQ and AFD.
Lines of management
- The programme manager reports to Expertise France Desk officer based in Paris, he/she implements activities under the desk’s supervision;
- He/she coordinates directly with AFD programme officer based in Beirut for strategic matters and all matters related to components 3 and other donors;
- He/she manages directly EF team implementing the programme (2 or 3 persons);
- He/she coordinates with other EF programme managers based in Beirut for the daily management of EF office in Lebanon.
- He/she manages EF M&E officer based in Beirut for all reporting cycle concerning Shabbaka programme;
- Manage Shabbaka programme and its 3 components under the supervision of EF office in Paris and in coordination with AFD office in Beirut;
- Coordinate implementation by (potentially 7) partners of all activities planned under components 1 & 2;
- Implement and manage directly component 3 of the programme, keeping a strong coordination with AFD on this specific component;
- Animate and foster the network formed by the implementing partners by organising regular coordination and performance measurement meetings;
- Supervise and support the external partner that will help partners carry out their auto-evaluation;
- Ensure partners remain committed throughout the programme phases;
Administrative and financial duties:
- Ensure proper and timely financial and narrative donor reporting in compliance with internal and external reporting requirements;
- Responsible for the financial management of the programme, in collaboration with the administrative and finance officer of the programme
- Supervise and ensure accountancy, financial transactions and enforce HR procedures;
- All security measures are managed by EF office (EF procurement and security coordinators)
- All visibility measures are managed by the Programme Manager
- Master in a relevant field (humanitarian, development, international studies, business administration, politics etc.)
- Project management experience: 5 years,
- Previous experience in capacity building programmes required
- Sound knowledge of Lebanon civil society,
- Perfect understanding of the Lebanese context (political, humanitarian),
- Fluency in Arabic and French or English is a must
- Diplomacy, patience and rigor,
- Reporting skills (context, administration, HR, finance),
- Knowledge of AFD and EF procedures is a plus,