Call for applications - Regional Health and Social Protection Project Officer
Instructions for applying:
Please send your application before January 30, 2019 to the email address below only: AFDBEYROUTH@afd.fr. The subject of the e-mail must imperatively be presented as: « Candidature poste CLO régional santé / NOM Prénom »
An acknowledgment of receipt will be sent to you; it is expressly requested not to call AFD.
Your application must include:
Your CV (French or English) specifying an email address and a phone number to reach you;
A letter of motivation in French of 2p maximum presenting your motivations and the adequacy between your profile and the call for application;
In the body of the electronic message, the following table filled in:
Date of birth, nationality(s)
Languages spoken and level (I = correct; II = good oral and written; III = perfect oral and written mastery)
3 main professional experiences (number of years and institution)
The French Development Agency (AFD), Middle East regional office, is recruiting a project officer for the identification, support to identification, appraisal and monitoring of financing operations mainly in the sectors of health and social protection. Local fixed-term contract (3 years) with tenure prospects, based in Beirut with missions in the region (notably in Iraq).
Main missions :
- Contribute, within a project-team, to the identification, appraisal and supervision of AFD-financed projects in the Middle East, mainly in Lebanon but also in Iraq.
- Participate in sectoral dialogue with the government and donors (contribution to coordination meetings, organization of seminars and training ...), as well as with civil society organizations active in the fields of health and social protection.
- Contribute, in conjunction with the experts from the Paris headquarters, to the animation of a network of health and social protection officers in AFD's agencies in the Middle East.
For the sectors of health and social protection:
- Keep abreast of sector news in the region, particularly in Lebanon and Iraq.
- Identify projects with AFD's partners (governments, municipalities, civil society organizations, international donors ...).
- Support the identification, appraisal, structuration and formalization of the financing (negotiation of the conventions, due diligence), in close relation with the teams of AFD headquarters.
- Monitoring and supervision of projects, piloting of evaluations.
- Active participation in sector dialogue with government and donors (coordination meetings).
- Organize expert missions at AFD headquarters, particularly in Lebanon and Iraq.
- Support AFD offices in the Middle East (Amman, Beirut, Jerusalem) by leading the community of practice on health and social protection issues.
- Regular missions to other countries in the Middle East, including Iraq.
For the sector of civil society organizations (CSOs):
- Support of the international volunteer in charge of relations with CSOs.
- Interface with international donors in case of delegated financing to AFD.
- Support to other project officers on health and social project components.
- Participation in regional team dynamics: training, contribution to management and dissemination of knowledge, cross-cutting themes (depending on the competency profile of the successful candidate).
Required profile :
Expert in public health and / or social protection with a valid Lebanese work permit (i) willing to put his/her expertise to the service of financing the sustainable development of the Middle East, (ii) with proven professional experience in an international development finance organization and / or consultancy firm working on development finance and / or CSO, (iii) with a good knowledge of the public health sector in the Middle East (government, municipalities, agencies).
- Excellent command of French, English and Arabic in writing and speaking.
- Knowledge of relevant sectors and professional experience in the health and social protection sector.
- Solid professional experience in setting up and / or financing projects.
- Good analytical, writing and synthesis skills.
- Relational qualities: teamwork, ability to develop and maintain a network of relationships.
- Organizational capacity, autonomy in the management of time and priorities.
- Professional ethics, respect for the confidentiality and the reserve necessary for the exercise of the function.
- Experience in contracting would be a plus.
Start of mission: The beginning is scheduled for March 1, 2019 (negotiable).
The French Development Agency
A public and solidarity-based bank, AFD is the central player in French development policy. We are committed to projects that concretely improve the lives of people in developing countries, emerging countries and French overseas territories.
Intervening in many sectors - energy, health, biodiversity, water, digital, training - we accompany the transition to a safer, fairer and more sustainable world: a world in common. Our action is fully in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Present in 108 countries, we finance and monitor more than 2,500 development projects today.
What AFD can do for you:
AFD has 2,400 employees, 100 nationalities represented, 85 branches spread over 5 continents. Joining AFD is giving meaning to your job, your expertise, your life, your commitment. It means integrating an organization where project financing is not an end in itself, but the means to have a positive, beneficial and lasting impact. Join AFD is to build a world in common that leaves no one behind.
Joining AFD also means choosing to work in a stimulating, inclusive and multicultural environment with passionate teams and a friendly atmosphere. Joining AFD is finally acquiring new skills to serve your professional project and your personal achievement, and thus give your career a new impulse.
Joining the Middle East Regional office is contributing to the new regional dynamics of the AFD network and benefiting from professional experience across several countries in the region.
What is expected of the successful candidate:
Due to the nature of its activity and the level of interlocutors of the agency, AFD expects from its agents a high level of professionalism in the performance of their duties. This translates into a real personal commitment on a daily basis and a strong requirement in the accomplishment of the work. This position will involve missions abroad, including Jordan, Iraq and France.