HR Coordinator (Applications will only be accepted if submitted through the link provided)
Applications will only be accepted if submitted online, through the URL link provided
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps works in places of transition, where conflict, disaster, political upheaval, or economic collapse present opportunities to build more secure, productive, and just communities. Providing emergency relief in times of crisis, we move quickly to help communities recover and build resilience to future shocks, and promote sustainable change by supporting community-led and market-driven initiatives.
HR Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in relation to HR services, namely; HR Administration, Policy implementation, Recruitment and selection, Placement, Organizational development, capacity building and career development for MC staff in Lebanon.
General Position Summary
The HR Coordinator is responsible for ensuring the Human Resources function of the regional team in Lebanon. S/he leads the various human resource functions, which include recruitment, staffing, staff administration, performance monitoring and capacity development at the country level. S/he will lead the development of HR for partners whilst supporting strategy development and focusing on proper implementation of HR procedures. S/he guides the regional team in Lebanon on HR matters, ensuring compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Part I: Human Resource
Recruitment, Selection and Placement
- Coordinate with department heads to identify and plan for needed resources, and facilitate hiring requests in line with Mercy Corps recruiting policies.
- Identify improvements and recommend revised procedures that support the specific recruitment requirements of the Lebanon HUB.
- Guide hiring managers through an effective and qualitative process and supervise the recruitment of national staff, ensuring adherence to relevant SOPs.
- Ensure implementation of, and counseling on, all HR related policies and procedures.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps personnel hiring and engagement adheres to applicable laws.
- Ensure that exit processes for staff departing Mercy Corps is conducted in line with the HR policies and Mercy Corps requirements.
- Revise orientation procedures and ensure a qualitative orientation process exists across departments for newly hired national and expatriate staff.
- Lead the development and implementation of consistent systems of new staff induction and service requests between HR and other departments.
- Lead HR orientation for new team members in Lebanon.
- Ensure administrative elements of new hires; provision of MC ID card, email and all relevant documents upon starting their positions. This includes signing of a Job Description, contract, policies and procedures especially the National Staff Handbook and Security Manual.
- Ensure new staff are oriented on administrative HR procedures.
Human Resource MANAGEMENT
- Collaborate with HR Mangers & Director to revise salary scale and participate in regular national salary surveys in order to ensure that that salaries and benefits are competitive within the market.
- Support in following and revising budget for staff, as requested.
- Work closely with all HR staff in Country/Region and make sure that HR services are provided on time, with high quality and compliant with policies and manuals.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting, not limited to dashboard and organizational chart revision.
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards.
- Support leadership to foster a culture where MC values are present and teams work across functions cohesively.
- Support team members and supervisors by sensitizing and ensuring performance management and any underperformance follows MC procedures.
Human Resource ADMINSTRATION
- Verify that personnel and job files are maintained as per MC procedures.
- Ensure implementation of all HR related policies and procedures, including provision of counselling.
- Maintain and update HR databases.
- Collecting personnel timesheets and liaise with MC Lebanon team for processing.
- Provide HR support to leadership as needed.
- Facilitate common HR practices and information sharing through engagement with other offices in the region.
- Implement and propose revised administrative procedures.
- In coordination with line managers, develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Working closely with the Capacity Development Officer on the Capacity Development Program in order to bring HR support.
- Focal point for the talent development program in the country.
- Contribute to the development and lead implementation of capacity development for partners, within MC.
SUPPORT TO LEADERSHIP
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- The HR Coordinator will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and support its humanitarian mission.
- Build and maintain relationships across various MC teams and offices, sometimes whom have competing processes and priorities.
Policies and Manuals
- Support revision of compensation and benefits, in line with latest Labor Law in Lebanon
- Ensure communication with staff with regards to compensation, benefits and policies is made in a timely and recurrent manner.
- Monitor HR related laws, policies and “best practices” to ensure that personnel policies, employment practices, and compensation packages are within the limits of established guidelines, procedures, and policies of Mercy Corps and national laws in Lebanon.
- Ensure implementation of and counseling on all HR related policies and procedures
Part II: PCG- INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION MANAGEMENT (ICM)
- Work with the Partnership Coordination Advisor to prepare agendas for Partnership Coordination Group (PCG) core meetings; monthly plenary meeting, four working group meetings (held every 4-6 weeks), and quarterly review meetings.
- Attend PCG core meetings and ensure accurate minutes of meeting are developed for each meeting.
- Responsible for updating and maintaining the e-mail addresses, mailing lists, telephone numbers and physical address of Partnership Coordination Group members.
- Support the Partnership Coordination Advisor to implement the PCG Information and Communication management (ICM) strategy.
- Ensure relevant documents are uploaded onto the PCG Google Drive and all relevant stakeholders have access to the Drive.
- Ensure that all documents on the PCG Google Drive have partner names coded.
Supervisory Responsibility N\A
Reports Directly To: Senior HR Manager, whilst working closely and taking guidance on priorities from the Director of Programs.
Works Directly With: All staff, supervisors, MC Lebanon HR Team, MC Regional HR Team.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in relevant field, HR Management or Public\Business Administration,
- Minimum 5 years’ field experience in the HR field, managing administration, and human resource systems.
- Experience with humanitarian I\NGOs is essential.
- Proven understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns and appropriate responses. Experience in Middle East is desirable.
- Sound understanding of the Lebanese Labor, Tax and social pension laws.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office software required (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent oral and written English and Arabic skills required.
- Experience working in remote management settings would be an asset.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
This position will suit an enthusiastic HR generalist, who has critical problem solving skills and the ability to build strong relationships. Field humanitarian experience is invaluable to support the development and implementation of HR policies and systems in a complex working environment. Maintaining strong cooperative relationships with other departments is crucial for the success of this role, as is the ability to communicate policy and process but engage and build team members understanding of such purpose. The successful candidate will have the ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel and a demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing priorities.