To apply, please click on the below link and please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application:
All NRC contractors are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity, and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
Non-formal educators will be working on the provision of education to refugee children out of school or at risk of dropping out from the formal education system. NRC is addressing the specific needs of those children who are unable - or not ready - to access formal education by providing them with quality education and skills as well as by adequately preparing them to enrol and retain at their correct level in relevant formal schools.
NRC non-formal education programmes include:
- Basic Literacy and Numeracy (ages 10 – 14) classes;
The different programmes will follow the unified curriculum and Standard Operating Procedures developed by the Lebanese Ministry of Education and Higher Education (MEHE), when applicable, enriched by NRC mainstreamed classroom based psychosocial and life skills activities.
NRC is setting up learning centres in close proximity to where refugee communities are:
- Within relevant camps or ITS (Informal Tent Settlement)
- In community based learning centres
- In public schools when approved by MEHE
The Non-Formal Educator will be responsible to facilitate the overall delivery of the programme in safe, child-friendly environment, upholding the standards of the NRC’s Code of Conduct, while ensuring full inclusion and protection of the vulnerable children as a key responsibility of this role and following NRC’s Protection Policy The position holder will work in close connection with NRC’s Education Assistants (EAs),Education Officers (EOs), and Education Technical Officers (ETOs), and will receive a preservice training on topics specific to the context. This will also include regular mentoring and observation visits from EOs and other NRC related staff.
- Provide effective teaching and facilitation to refugees and vulnerable host community children by employing a variety of methodologies in teaching students, including demonstrations, discussions, and lectures
- Plan, prepare and deliver French lessons to students as per NRC curriculum
- Help students improve their listening, speaking, reading and writing skills
- Attend and actively participate in all trainings held by NRC Lebanon, which are mandatory for all educators. If any trainings are missed due to unforeseen reasons, the educator must request the direct supervisor for a make-up training.
- Implement and follow NRC standard curriculum and enrich content where appropriate, including the production and dissemination of teaching handouts and activities sheets
- Maintain a child-friendly and safe teaching/learning environment in the classroom while adopting a holistic approach to teaching (physical, emotional, and intellectual wellbeing)
- Use positive discipline in the classroom
- Assess children's learning achievement with pre, post and periodic assessments during the cycle
- Plan and implement lessons as per the directions of the ETOs
- Attend educator meetings as requested by NRC relevant staff, participate in Teacher Learning Circles, develop extra material during workshops and adapt them to the need of the students, etc. in direct coordination with all relevant NRC Education Team to ensure and maintain high quality delivery learning environment
- Teach and educate students according to the educational needs, abilities and attainment of potential for individual students entrusted to his/her care
- Enhance parental involvement though positive communication channels with parents and PCGs (Parents Community Group) members
- Utilize and protect the educational equipment, such as materials, books, and other learning aid provided by NRC
- Supervise the students upon arrival and departure and between sessions
- Carry out related mainstreaming of protection in programme daily implementation as per the set NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines, and ensures reporting any breaches/concerns to the line manager for proper action.
- Education Officer
- Education Technical Officer
- Education Assistant
- Parents and PCGs
Qualifications and Relevant Skills:
- Diploma or Bachelor Degree in language, linguistics, education or French is recommended; certification/license in teaching is a plus
- 1 to 2 years working experience in education or teaching
- Honesty and trustworthiness, and responsive to constructive feedback and advice
- Ability to work systematically and organized manner
- Ability to listen actively, understand, communicate effectively, and discuss with supervisors and parents on children's learning problems and psychosocial requirements
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality
- Fluent in French, both spoken and written.