Country Manager - Lebanon
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment;
- Working in a small but growing office and the opportunity to take initiative and realise your ideas and plans;
- Remuneration according to relevant work between 3400-3600 USD gross;
- Dynamic team to work with.
How to apply?
If you are interested, please apply with motivation letter including salary expectations and CV (both in English) on https://vacancy.spark-online.org until 22nd November with reference: Country Manager Lebanon. If you have any questions regarding SPARK or the position, please visit our website www.spark-online.org.
All applications will be assessed on rolling basis; interviews can therefore take place before the application deadline. However, due to the large volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to every applicant individually. There may be a delay between the deadline and the moment we contact selected applicants.
If you have not received a reply we regret to inform that we have continued with other candidates.
SPARK develops higher education and entrepreneurship to empower young, ambitious people to lead their fragile and conflict-affected societies into prosperity. SPARK is a dynamic and growing, international not-for-profit development organisation with 80+ staff members, in more than 14 offices around the world. SPARK supports refugees in the Middle-East by providing them with scholarships in universities and higher education institutions in the region. SPARK also supports young entrepreneurs in fragile states, to start or grow their own businesses.
SPARK is looking for a person who can take the leadership to grow its comprehensive, innovative and integrated programme aim at improving economic inclusion of the young refugees, IDPs and vulnerable host community members by creating a pathway for them from education to decent employment or starting and growing their own businesses in Lebanon. The CM will guide a dynamic team and local partners in the fields of higher education, employment, SME development and growth-oriented entrepreneurship. The main focus of this position is the acquisition of new programs on higher education and job creation sectors.
The Country Manager (CM) is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the Lebanon SPARK office, which entails implementation of the current programs, program support operations (security, HR, procurement, liaison), country-level external relations and coordination, finance and budget compliance, administration, staff supervision, and supervision of required reporting. The CM is also responsible for exceeding program targets, providing consistently high-quality execution and, identifying and pursuing new program opportunities. The CM will build and maintain a close, collaborative and responsive relationship and frequent communications with the stakeholders including but not limited to donors, public institutions, business associations, corporations, higher education institutions, UN agencies, INGOs and local NGOs.
The Country Manager will report to the Regional Programme Director and coordinate closely with the regional team and SPARK HQ.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
The responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to:
• Lead the process of developing country strategic plans in areas which are consistent with SPARKs program objectives and core sectors and best responsive to the needs on the ground;
• Supervise and plan assessments, field research, and data collection to identify relevant programmatic interventions and new opportunities for program growth and start-up on behalf of SPARK;
• Pro-actively ensure effective ongoing direct communications and networking with relevant funding partners (e.g. institutional donors or private donor organisations) in order to align expectancy and secure funding for the country programmes;
• In close collaboration with the acquisition team and the regional office, participate in negotiation of contracts and agreements with donors, ensuring both programmatic and financial relevance;
• Supervise implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the planned activities according to the project proposals and logical frameworks and institutional donor policies and guidelines;
• Ensure that team members effectively and efficiently contribute to the necessary work to ensure quality implementation of their programs;
• Manage the overall programme and support functions, including reviewing and refining the management structures and overseeing the development and maintenance of operational procedures;
• Ensure all programme activities and support functions comply with applicable national and international laws and regulations, including in-country registrations;
• Ensure proper management of large data sets and data systems;
• Ensure results, case studies, and success stories are documented and communicated regularly;
• Oversee all HR related issues within the programme including job descriptions, recruitment, performance management, development and training, team structures, etc. in collaboration with the relevant staff and managers;
• Manage the spending within the programme in-line with the approved budgets;
• Analyse projected cash flow, decide on the timing of major procurements, oversee audits and anticipate where over or under spending may occur and ensure necessary action is taken;
• Maintain the best possible relations with relevant governmental authorities and ensure SPARK registration and permits are all up to date
• Lead the development of a representation strategy for SPARK at the local and national level public, private and civic sectors;
• Work closely with stakeholders to facilitate project implementation and design;
• Represent SPARK by active participation in meetings of the development community;
• Ensure and oversee appropriate security procedures and awareness are maintained throughout the country programme;
• Lead the preparation process of annual work plans and budgets for Lebanon.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
Requirements and Skills
- Academic background in international development, business management or social studies;
- Minimum 5 years’ senior management experience in development and/or humanitarian aid;
- Substantial experience in skill development, business development, SME development and entrepreneurship support;
- Knowledge of the entrepreneurial ecosystems;
- Experience with large scale and multi-donor development programmes;
- Fluency in English and Arabic including excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills;
- Proven leadership skills and experience of managing multidisciplinary teams;
- Strong work ethic and commitment to timely delivery of high-quality products;
- Experience of representation at national and local levels;
- Reliable, flexible, and problem-solving person who has hands on attitude;
- Eligible to work in Lebanon.
- multiple projects and stakeholders;
- Eligible to work in Lebanon.