Protection Officer for Case Management
Interested candidates please send CV to [email protected] and mention clearly in the subject the position applying for. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organisation that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Established in 1992 with support from the Italian Federation of Trade Unions, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected.
INTERSOS identifies with the core values of CONCORD, the European Confederation of NGOs; it adheres to international codes of conduct for humanitarian organisations and the values and principles expressed within those codes. INTERSOS is recognised by the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs, the European Commission and the principal UN agencies; it is privileged to hold an advisory status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
INTERSOS is an independent association which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world's poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure. The head office in Italy coordinates, supports and monitors the planned activities in the countries of intervention carried out by decentralised offices.
Lead and coordinate the implementation of community-level protection activities (SGBV, CPiE) in designated areas, in particular case management (CM), develop trend analysis, information dissemination and referrals according to Donor standards in Protection work.
Guarantee the correct and efficient implementation of the projects activities in Mount Lebanon and the overall supervision of the project teams.
- Monitor and supervise the process of identification of SGBV and CP cases by the caseworkers (CW)
- In coordination with the OV Officer, ensure close and smooth cooperation between the OVs assigned in each area and the CWs for the prompt assistance to PoC.
- Supervise the activities related to individual CM for PoC in the intervention location in accordance with all CM steps and related tools and procedures.
- Support and manage a pool of Senior Case Workers in their daily activities; ensure distribution of tasks within the teams.
- Supervise the correct documentation and compilation of CM forms in accordance with all CM steps and related tools and procedure and ensure proper follow up on case management services.
- Ensure that all high risk cases are addressed immediately and shared with the protection manager for possible intervention.
- In collaboration with the protection manager, work closely with the other organizations in order to ensure smooth referral and monitoring of required follow-up actions.
- Hold regular CW mentoring, trainings, and coaching sessions based on identified needs and gaps.
- Organize CM meetings with service providers, UNHCR and other donors when needed.
- Provide ongoing support to the SCW in the designated districts, ensuring proper and timely information flow, supervision and advice in complex cases.
- Communicate regularly with the SCW teams for updates on achievements and challenges.
- Undertake field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision as well as regularly monitoring of the progress of the protection project activities.
- Collaborate closely with the psychosocial teams in designated area to enhance possible synergies and closely monitor the psychological counselling service in the three districts,
- Supervise the provision of CP and SGBV case management services, including emergency cash assistance in accordance with internal SoPs and UNHCR SoPs.
- Ensure the proper storage of sensitive data through a correct use of internal databases and case monitoring tools (including KNACK and PRIMERO)
- In close collaboration with UNHCR, develop and/or contextualize awareness raising material on Child Protection and GBV key concepts and related issues as well as on key life-saving messages.
- Train and capacity build for Senior Caseworkers, and external organizations and local actors if required, on case management and protection topics and identification and referral of CP and GBV.
- Ensure monthly monitoring of financial plan for budget lines related to Case Management activities.
- Ensure monthly follow up on progress of budget expenditures for CM activities against financial plan and preparation of weekly Purchase Request for required the liquidity of Emergency Cash Assistance.
Monitoring & Reporting:
- Contribute to the drafting of internal/external reports (weekly/monthly/and quarterly) according to INTERSOS and donors requirements ensuring that reports are of a high quality and submitted on time.
- Maintain regular and positive collaboration with the colleagues to harmonize approaches and methodologies of response, share challenges and best practices and ensure that protection is mainstreamed into the other sectors of intervention.
- Contribute jointly with the reporting officer to prepare monthly reports according to INTERSOS and donor requirements.
- Conduct frequent field visits to monitor and evaluate activities implementation;
- Ensure a permanent monitoring of projects’ teams’ activities.
- Support the staff teams through the development of a technically sound (monthly & weekly) work plan consistent with the goals and objectives of the project.
- Organize weekly/monthly meetings to plan activities with the projects’ teams.
- Ensure the referral mechanism system is known by Donors Teams, properly applied and monitored.
- Ensure timely and quality implementation of the work plan, in coordination with field teams.
- Ensure smooth communication and coordination between the projects’ teams.
- Strengthen coordination among the projects’ teams, ensuring that there is a comprehensive link and mainstream between the different project components.
- Participate in the recruitment of projects staff and provide objective feedback with regards to staff performance (evaluate performance and delivery against job descriptions), expectations and areas for growth and professional development.
- Ensure the team in the respective area are working effectively together, mitigate in case of tensions and conflict and report immediately on HR related issues
- Maintain good working relations with key actors amongst the refugees from Syria and Lebanese host community local authorities.
- In coordination with the teams, ensure that a weekly expenditure planning is prepared and timely delivered to the Protection Manager including expected costs for:
- Cost to deliver/implement activities related to CM, events and specialized services and trainings
- Any related costs for Emergency Cash Assistance to PoC.
Coordination & Representation:
- Develop and maintain effective working relationship with stakeholders including partner agencies, community leaders and service providers in the target areas for prompt referral, follow up and information sharing.
- Proactively participate in protection and relevant INTERSOS coordination meeting at the national, regional and district level (GBV Taskforce, CPWG).
- Liaising with field-offices of humanitarian agencies and coordinate with Donor Sub-Office to ensure field concerns and challenges are brought to relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in Donor coordination working group and also bi-lateral coordination meetings with organizations (local and international) when required.
- Provide written feedback about protection incidents for CM.
- Proactively participate in protection and relevant inter-sectorial coordination meeting at field level, contributing to the development of guidelines, standards, tools and strategies.
- Contribute to the development of activities in relation to CM and other protection-related activities and to the drafting and revision of the project narrative, budgets, work plan etc.
- Act as the Hub focal point for CP and SGBV in accordance with the ToRs shared by the HUB taskforce
- 2Monitor and follow up on the rotation of the INTERSOS hotline and keep track of the calls data through the phone calls tracking sheet
Competencies: (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work within humanitarian context.
- Very good understanding of protection and refugees’ rights.
- MS proficiency (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Excellent analytical and Reporting skills
- Driving License
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Change and adaptability; Ability to work under pressure and in a challenging environment
- High level of planning & organising and Ability to meet deadlines
- High degree of flexibility in terms of working extra hours and movements
- High level of analytical thinking
- Developing and motivating others
- Driving and achieving results
- Ethical and transparent decisionmaking
- Strategic vision
- Humanitarian motivation and commitment to INTERSOS values
- Respect of INTERSOS policies and procedures