Summer Internships for Organizing National Youth Service Week 2019
Complete the online application form at http://www.volunteerforlebanon.org/InternForm.
ARE YOU …
- A student or recent graduate residing in Lebanon?
- 16-25 years old?
- Passionate about having a positive impact on Lebanese society?
- Interested in spending time this summer (and possibly beyond) developing your professional and leadership skills and gaining work experience while helping to mobilize youth in service to society?
- Fluent in either Arabic or English, and preferably somewhat comfortable in both?
- Able to commit at least 15 hours/week for 10 weeks or 150 hours total to the project between June and September?
If you can answer YES to all of these questions, we invite you to become an intern with Volunteer for Lebanon to help us organize National Youth Service Week 2019.
Volunteer for Lebanon (VFL) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization whose mission is to promote, facilitate, and improve volunteering throughout Lebanon. National Youth Service Week is an initiative of VFL to engage small groups of young people from 5-25 years of age in planning and implementing sustainable service projects during one week in April - projects that empower the youth while they address a genuine need in society.
WHAT IS THE COMMITMENT REQUIRED OF AN INTERN?
- At least 15 hours/week, on average
- At least 5 of those hours each week in training and planning sessions in Beirut (this could be done through Skype some of the time).
- The remaining time interns will work on their own or in small teams.
- The total internship commitment must be for a minimum of 10 weeks or 150 hours between June and September
Hopefully some of the summer interns will continue October-May. We will particularly need promoters and trainers October-February, mentors and data managers January-April, monitors and media reporters during National Youth Service Week in April, and project evaluators and event planners in April-May for the final recognition event. We will also provide opportunities for new interns on a quarterly basis.
BENEFITS OF INTERNSHIP
As an intern you will:
- Develop your leadership, teamwork, and project development skills
- Strengthen other skills related to the actual work you do
- Learn about civil society in Lebanon
- Gain work experience
- Make new friends
- Have a positive impact on your society
- Certificate of participation
- Written recommendation: You will work directly with the Executive Director of Volunteer for Lebanon, a former AUB professor of cultural anthropology, who will be able to give you a recommendation upon completion of your internship.
- In addition, if your own educational institution allows you to earn credit or fulfill a requirement through such service, VFL will do what it can to help you comply with its requirements.
NOTE: These are unpaid internship positions, but VFL will provide compensation for transportation within Lebanon and other out-of-pocket expenses for those who need it.
Interns will develop outreach strategies and training materials, make contact with educational institutions and youth organizations, and support the development of an online platform to connect host organizations with implementing youth groups across social boundaries of geography, religion, sect, age, and abilities/disabilities.Your roles and responsibilities on the planning team will be based on your abilities, experience, and commitment. Those who are willing to make more of a commitment (especially those who can continue beyond the summer) will have greater opportunities for leadership, will benefit more from the experience, and will have a greater impact.
POSSIBLE ROLES OF INTERNS
All interns will engage in general planning for National Youth Service Week. In addition, we have specific roles for interns to fulfill, depending on their skills and interests. These include providing:
- General leadership as an assistant coordinator
- Event planning
- Seeking sponsors
- Planning and implementing fund raisers
- Doing online research
- Writing proposals
- Graphic design
- Website development
- Promoting National Youth Service Week on social media, TV, radio, and print media
- Office support (data entry, filing, etc)
- Serving as a liaison to specific universities, school networks, Scout associations, youth organizations, NGOs and potential funders.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, complete the online application form as soon as possible, but no later than June 16 (http://www.volunteerforlebanon.org/InternForm). Applicants will receive responses within a week.