National Youth Service Week Training Session
Universities, Schools, Youth Organizations, and Informal Youth Groups
Are invited to implement service projects during
National Youth Service Week
April 9-17, 2016
Volunteer For Lebanon is holding this training session in Zahle to provide information about NYSW to schools, universities, and organizations in the Bekaa who can mobilize youth to implement service projects during National Youth Service Week.
Content of the Training Session:
Introduction to National Youth Service Week and Global Youth Service Days
Objectives of National Youth Service Week
What is “volunteering”?
How does “volunteering” relate to “community service”? – particularly the Ministry of Education’s requirement for students to do 60 hours of “community service” during their last three years of secondary school.
National Youth Service Week theme of “Sustainable Service”
Guidelines for Participation in National Youth Service Week
How to Plan and Implement a Project
For a list of other training sessions go to:
And for more information about National Youth Service Week go to: http://www.volunteerforlebanon.org/nysw.
Objectives of Lebanese National Youth Service Week:
1) To develop an understanding of volunteering and to encourage it in our youth.
2) To encourage youth to identify and target social problems and to collaborate to solve them
3) To develop our youth into capable, empowered, socially responsible citizens.
4) To provide them with opportunities to actually contribute in meaningful ways.
5) To provide youth with volunteer opportunities that cross social barriers of age, religion, abilities/disabilities, and geography.
6) To improve the quality and sustainability of youth service projects.
7) To encourage and help NGOs to recruit youth to volunteer for them
8) To acknowledge the capacity of youth to contribute to their society
Theme for National Youth Service Week: Sustainable Service
We are providing information to groups to develop projects that are sustainable in three important ways:
1) Projects that continue over time or have a long time impact
2) Projects that are environmentally friendly in their planning and implementation
3) Projects that help to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals
Schedule for the National Youth Service Week Campaign
February/early March: Training of schools, universities organizations, youth groups on How to Plan and Implement a Sustainable Service Project and how to participate in NYSW/GYSD.
March-mid April: Youth groups will plan their service projects according to the guidelines provided. They will also complete an online pre-project form describing their project. And public school students will have their projects approved, as required, by the Ministry of Education
April 2: Deadline to complete pre-project form: www.volunteerforlebanon.org/NYSW_PreProjectForm
April 9-17: Sustainable service projects will be implemented throughout Lebanon.
April 29: Deadline for youth groups to complete the online post-project form describing the actual project completed as well as prepare and submit a poster describing their project.
May 8*: A recognition event will be held to honor the youth who participated in National Youth Service Week. Project posters will be displayed, certificates will be distributed, and awards will be given for exemplary projects according to the criteria provided in the guidelines. *The event may be postponed to May 15th if the municipal elections are held on May 8th.